Read more about the risk to people with all types of diabetes here.
People with coronavirus may experience:
- Sore throat
- Shortness of breath
If you are sick and think you might have COVID-19, check your symptoms using healthdirect's Coronavirus (COVID-19) Symptom Checker.
What to do if you are unwell?
If you are sick and think you have symptoms of COVID-19, seek medical attention. If you want to talk to someone about your symptoms first, call the Coronavirus Health Information Line for advice on 1800 020 080. The Helpline operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
The Department of Health provides the following advice:
“To seek medical help from a doctor or hospital, call ahead of time to book an appointment.
You will be asked to take precautions when you attend for treatment. Follow the instructions you are given.
If you have a mask, wear it to protect others. Stay at least 1.5 metres away from other people. Cover your coughs or sneezes with your elbow.
Tell the doctor about:
- Your symptoms
- Any travel history
- Any recent contact with someone who has COVID-19”
If you have serious symptoms such as difficulty breathing, call 000 for urgent medical help. You can find out more information on what you should do if you are feeling unwell, including sick day management, here.
Your doctor will tell you if you should be tested. They will arrange for the test. You will only be tested if your doctor decides you meet the criteria:
- You have returned from overseas in the past 14 days and you develop respiratory illness with or without fever
- You have been in close contact with a confirmed COVID-19 case in the past 14 days and you develop respiratory illness with or without fever
- You have severe community-acquired pneumonia and there is no clear cause
- You are a healthcare worker who works directly with patients and you have a respiratory illness and a fever
It may take a few days for the test results to come back.
If you have serious symptoms you will be kept in hospital and isolated from other patients to prevent the virus spreading. If your doctor says you are well enough to go home while you wait for your test results, you should:
For questions about testing or patient welfare, call the National Coronavirus Helpline on 1800 020 080.