Skip to Content
Back to top
Celery, Sweet Potato and Bean Soup
Gabriel Gaté demonstrated this recipe on stage at Living Well with Diabetes at Plenty Ranges Arts & Convention Centre on 14 June 2014.
- Energy: 1052 KJ
- Total fat: 5g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrates: 39g
- DietaryFiber: 13g
- Sodium: 220mg
5 stalks celery
2 medium sweet potato
1 tablespoon olive oil
400g canned butter beans
1 clove garlic
4 tablespoons fresh coriander or parsley
- Trim the hard part of the celery and peel large stringy branches. Cut the celery into small pieces.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into small pieces.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick saucepan. Add the celery and stir on medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato and cover with water to about 3 cm over the vegetables. Season with a little salt and pepper, bring to the boil and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Add the drained and rinsed beans and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Blend the soup to almost a purée, adding some boiling water if it is too thick. Stir in the finely chopped garlic and herbs of your choice and serve immediately.