Diabetes Australia was established in 1984 and is the national body for people affected by all types of diabetes and those at risk. Through leadership, prevention, management and research, Diabetes Australia is committed to reducing the impact of diabetes. We work in partnership with diabetes health professionals and educators, researchers and healthcare providers to minimise the impact of diabetes on the Australian community.
Diabetes Australia is a respected and valued source of information, advice and views utilised by government and the community. Our credibility and independence as a national voice allows us to translate knowledge and evidence into advocacy and programs for diabetes.
Through leadership, prevention, management and research, Diabetes Australia is committed to reducing the impact of diabetes.
We work in the spirit of collaboration and co-operation. We offer strong leadership, governance and finances for our programs and our member organisations.
- As leaders, we administer the NDSS and advocate on issues impacting diabetes in Australia.
- As a trusted source of information, we offer advice on prevention and management.
- As a strong supporter of research, we work to develop the field of diabetes research through providing funding towards the prevention, management and cure for diabetes.
In collaboration with state and territory diabetes organisations and through the administration of the National Diabetes Services Scheme (NDSS), Diabetes Australia provides practical assistance, information and subsidised products to almost 1.1 million Australians diagnosed with diabetes.
Diabetes Australia works to raise the awareness about the seriousness of diabetes, promoting prevention and early detection strategies and advocating for better standards of care. Diabetes Australia is also a significant financial contributor to research into better treatments for diabetes and the search for a cure.
Diabetes Australia consists of member organisations, each falling into one (at least) of the following categories:
- Specialist – medical, educational, scientific
- Community - state and territory diabetes organisations
- Research - DART, Kellion, DRFWA.
Learn more about: